Sunday, November 2, 2008

reflection

I have pretty much wasted away yet another Sunday, although we did have an extra hour. I got up this morning, walked through the kitchen and noticed a... fragrance we will call it. A month or so ago I would have continued to the basement to be lazy and that would be that. Today however I thought, will this make Kati throw up?

Normally I get up first on our day off. Normally I do not stay out till 2 in the morning having a groovy time at the best Halloween party around. So as I got up walking through the kitchen contemplating fragrances I was also curious as to the level of hunger my lovely wife had. Sure enough as I went downstairs she let me know it would be nice to have some Einsteins.

I brushed my teeth put on enough cloths to be accepted in public, filled the car with gas and got her breakfast. While she ate I cleaned the kitchen and the bathroom. (She also mentioned she wanted a bath.) As she prepared her bath, I prepared myself for a TiVo clearing marathon.

During my TV rampage I thought how much has changed since were expecting. I feel terrible that Kati is so sick all the time. Now I look at things I can do to ease that for her. Keeping her up late last night did not do her any good, although I know she had fun. It's amazing to me how immediate our lives have changed with a baby coming. I get more excited every day. I read others stories of precious moments and am jealous. I see moms making their son take back a toy he tried to sneak out of the store and am terrified.

I know I am going to be a great dad just as sure as I know I am going to mess up. If I really think deep about it, it overwhelms me. How did my parents do it? How did my mom do it alone with two boys for even a couple of years?

Ramblings over, I just wanted to clear some thoughts before bed.

6 comments:

Benjam said...

it makes Jon & Kate + eight all the more impressive, doesn't it

Josh said...

I seriously can't even begin to comprehend those guys. Thank goodness for reality TV

Tiffany said...

What a good hubby!!

chels said...

Only advice I have:

Go to the store. Find the baby section. Find the package marked "Extra Patience", buy as much as you can afford. If you see the box marked "Sleep", don't bother purchasing, you'll never be able to use it. You also won't need "Moments So Cute You Could Puke", you'll have so many of those you're heart may explode.

Seriously though, you'll be surprised how much your parental instincts will kick in and how much you'll just "know" right away.

J.M. said...

Being a parent will just come naturally. I surprise myself all the time after I say something, I'm like "oh wow, I just sounded like a mom!" I never imagined that I would be the kind of parent that I am.

Jossie said...

Oh man we are with you on this post! We had those exact same thoughts and, to be honest, most of the time they are still there. But, being a parent is the coolest thing in the whole world and it's amazing how the little things just totally make your day. Tonight Tyler was basically reading a book to me. Okay, he had it memorized we read it so much but it was so cool! I was laughing so hard I was crying! And, when they say, "I love you mommy/daddy" while giving you a big hug...there's nothing better! Congratulations!

P.S. A-I am sure the wrestled. Tyler as Spiderman and Karl as the Green Goblin :-) B-Tyler ALWAYS wins, LOL!